Homeopathy is a complete system of medical treatment using medicine according to the principle ‘like cures like’. Substances that would cause symptoms in healthy people, such as the toxin of a stinging bee causing swelling, burning and stinging pains, can be used in a safe diluted form to treat illnesses that cause the same symptoms. For example, a minute dose of the toxin of the bee sting could be used to treat someone with cystitis that causes burning and stinging pains.
The principles of homeopathy were developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, a German doctor, in the late 18th century. He became dissatisfied by the toxic effects of certain drugs and disillusioned with ineffective and barbaric treatments of the day. He resolved in finding a safer way in curing patients with potentised substances, that is to say that he prepared medicines through a process of dilution and succussion as he realised that a cure could be more effective and have less side effects this way. Homeopathy uses tiny doses of non-toxic substances to activate the healing process. The ingredients used to manufacture homeopathic remedies are mainly taken from the plant, animal and mineral kingdom.
The human body has an infinite capacity for self-repair. In today’s society we think that if we have an illness the only way to correct it is with intrusive methods and medication. However, many practitioners, natural as well as medical, know that it is not so. Homeopathic medicine facilitates the body’s physical and emotional recovery without causing more damage to the body. This is a really important point: Your body is yours to be responsible for. If you eat food that is not fresh, you will have a stomach ache. If you drink too much, you will have a headache. These are all warning signs that your body does not like what is happening to it.
A homeopath considers the whole picture and thus does not treat physical, emotional and mental symptoms separately, but takes the view that they are all interconnected as facets of the patient’s suffering. This is what makes homeopathy a truly holistic and refined art.
The Benefits of Homeopathy
- Homeopathy focuses on the cause of your health problem rather than just treating the symptoms.
- Homeopathy assists in detoxing the body and can help with the side-effects of medications.
- Homeopathic remedies work on the mind and body, relieving tensions, worries and anxiety.
- Homeopathy helps restore balance in the body, improving sleep, energy levels and mood.
- Homeopathic remedies are natural, safe and without side-effects.
- Homeopathic remedies are suitable for all ages, during pregnancy and safe to take alongside conventional medications.
- Homeopathic remedies have not been tested on animals.